Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Testimonial on what kind of crap The Retrofit Source sells

Bimmer Man
07-21-2011, 11:31 AM
DO NOT BUY FROM THE RETROFIT SOURCE!

I, like everyone else, had read here that they had good products. In my first Bosch retrofit I used OEM FX-35 bowls and OEM TSX lenses (the oem version of what an fx-r is). When my car was incolved in an accident, it smashed my headlight and TSX lens. I figured this would be a good time to give retrofitsource a try because my cutoff shields had been a little off with my old set up.

I received my order (two new FX-R projectors) and began the retrofit process into another set of Bosch Headlights. I finished up. The one side was spot on but the other one's cutoff line was WAY off, blurry and curved. I called Matt and explained the problem. He said if I shipped it back on my dime that he would provide a replaecment. I received the new projector and went to drop in my OEM 81522+ bulb and it would NOT seat properly because the the hole for the bulb to fit in was too small.

By this point I was fed up, stripped the crap FX-R's apart (by the way, there is a HUGE difference in quality when holding OEM next to Replica) and harvested the lenses and cutoff shields. I rebuilt up my OEM ones with ZERO problems, everything fit together properly.

I took my business else where and bought my HID kit from Cesar at Lightwerkz. He has been really helpful over the years. I haven't used his FX-Rs, I'm sure they may be made in the same or similar factory, but I know he would take the time to check them, ESPECIALLY on an exchange on a defective projector.

Extremely disappointed and they wasted about 2-3 weeks of my time and multiple disassembly/reassembly because their products were defective. For anyone that has ever done a retrofit, you know how intensive it is, it is very frustrating when the products you were given are defective, twice no less.

My finished product:

http://eurofanatics.com/alpine/alpine7a.jpg
http://eurofanatics.com/alpine/alpine10a.jpg

1 comment:

  1. You're basing your entire opinion of a company based on a single type of projector? For the record, Lightwerkz is a reseller of Retrofit Source products. Ballasts, projectors, bulbs, you name it. Literally every single product he sells is from Retrofit Source, including the FX-R projector. You probably got accidentally sent an AMP projector vs a D2S version. They don't do AMP anymore. I will admit that Matt seems to be a tad lazy, as I've dealt with him before. But he doesn't define the entire company, nor their products.

    ReplyDelete